Thursday, May 2, 2013

The alternative to old age...

Grandma D and Me - 2004
I've been thinking a lot lately about my Grandma D, she was the only one of my grandparents who lived into my adulthood.  During the last ten years of her life, I could really see her slowing down and her health issues became more central to her daily life until she needed around-the-clock care.  I feel like my body has gone through an amazingly horrible transformation from a healthy, social, active 40+ year old woman to a slow, incoherent, uncoordinated, pain-riddled 70+ year old woman all within 365 days.  Even though it didn't happen within a year for my grandma, I have wondered if it felt like it happened almost overnight or if the slower, more steady progression made it easier for her to accept on some level.  Even though she struggled with the physical changes of getting older along with her added health problems, I wonder what advice she would have given me on how to accept these things gracefully.  To be honest though, I think I am doing the best that I can in that regard. 

I have heard many times, from many people, that getting old is hard but it is preferable to the alternative.  I now realize ALS is one of those alternatives and I would gladly take the opportunity for regular old age any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment