Friday, May 10, 2013

Laughter is the best medicine...

At the beginning of this journey, my voice started to change, slur, slow down, and talking in general became more challenging.  Before I received the ALS news, I often joked about how lucky I was that singing was not my career, and it was lucky for everyone else, too, since I can't carry a tune.  I think back now and am so happy that I have been able to keep my sense of humor through all of this.  Sure, there are things that are just not funny, but somehow I still find a reason to laugh every day (often at my own expense thanks to my disintegrating speech).

At the first ALS Clinic I attended, the doctor asked me "Would you say you are depressed, do you feel sad all the time?" and I had to laugh at this because my response was "Oddly enough, no".  I don't think anyone would blame me if I was, and I doubt I would care anyway, but truly I appreciate the fact that I can laugh and find true happiness in so many things in my life.

ALS may be a death sentence, but every life ends in death and I am just grateful to be enjoying so much about living every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment