Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How you can help...

People often express the desire to do something to help, so today I want to share with you just a few of the ways you can get involved in ALS Awareness and make a big impact! 

1. Share and forward this blog.  This is an easy way to help spread ALS Awareness.  I know I have mentioned this before and I really want to thank you for taking it to heart.  I have seen the posts being shared on Facebook and know from others that it is being shared by email and word of mouth as well.  As new people find their way here, I hope they will also share it forward.

2. Read and share other people's ALS stories.  The ALS Association (ALSA) and The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) are two very active organizations funding and promoting ALS related topics and research.  Each are currently highlighting stories of ALS patients, families, friends, and caregivers from across the country in honor of ALS Awareness Month.  The ALSA has Stories of Hope and MDA has ALS: Anyone's Life Story.  If you have a personal story you would like to share, I encourage you to do so.  By sharing your story, or reading the stories of others, you are helping.  Please feel free to "Like" or Tweet any of stories as well.  To see my story, click here for ALSA Stories of Hope and click here for MDA's It's My Story, Too.

3. Find a local ALS event to participate in. Year round, there are walks, runs, and rides taking place in different parts of the country to support ALS projects.  In the summer, there are camps for children of ALS patients in some places.  Each ALS organization has a website where you can find more information.  During May, please commit to visiting one or more of the sites listed below to learn more about the organizations and how you can help today.

ALS Association
Muscular Dystrophy Association
Team Gleason
Project ALS
Brigance Brigade Foundation
Packard Center for ALS Research and Johns Hopkins
ALS Therapy Development Institute

4. Make a donation to one of the organizations directly involved in helping provide care for ALS patients and/or ALS research for better treatments and a cure. 

I would love to hear how you are participating in ALS Awareness Month!  Please leave a comment about what you are doing.

Thank you, as always, for your support and willingness to help and get involved.

1 comment:

  1. I am wearing my Sam's Twysted Ride t-shirt twice a week for the month of May. I look forward to reading your blog every day and mention it to at least one person (today....3!) I sent out a mass email to bring to the attention of others that it is ALS Awareness Month, inviting them to follow your blog. I listen to stories others share about someone in their family or someone they know who has been affected by ALS and I share mine/yours. I am stunned by how many people have a personal connection to ALS. It is time for national attention and funds to be given to finding treatment and a cure!

    ReplyDelete